Dealing With Menstruation As a Teenager in Kenya

 Menstrual periods are never easy, let alone dealing with it as a teenager in Kenya. What makes this experience more difficult is that nobody talks about menstrual hygiene and its implications. To chronicle my experience, I was 13 years old when I got my first period. Inadequate preparedness and not understanding what was happening led to me believe that I was in grave trouble. The bleeding came unannounced and made me afraid that I was going to die. Fortunate for me, I quickly rushed to my guardian who helped me with a sanitary pad and calmed me down.  

While I was lucky to find guidance at the right time, some teenagers go through the most difficult menstrual experience in Kenya. They are often so afraid to tell their parents about what’s going on with their body that they end up keeping quiet. This not only increases the risk of leakage due to ineffective management but also leads to mental scars that can last for a long time.   


Menstrual periods is the onset of puberty among girls. It is the time when they are supposed to open up to the world and enjoy the journey of womanhood. However, for girls in Kenya, this natural development tends to contract their opportunities. No access to sanitary pads and lack of knowledge also leads to girls dropping out of school or other activities. Poverty and other factors too contribute to making it more difficult for Kenyan girls.  


A menstrual period is a very crucial part of a woman’s life and must be given due significance. I believe that people in Kenya must be more accepting of this feminine condition to make it easier for women, especially teenagers. It is never easy to deal with menstruation when it is stigmatized. Furthermore, it causes a great deal of emotional and physical stress that can be lessened if girls and women are supported during this monthly cycle.  

Fortunately, leading sanitary brands are taking initiative to help teenagers better manage menstruation in Kenya. There are special campaigns aimed to ease the discomfort and stigma attached to the natural function of the feminine body. The Kenyan government too has taken steps in ensuring a smoother menstrual journey for women. Added tax against tampons and pads has been repealed since 2004. The price of sanitary health products are reduced and free pads are distributed among school girls.  

The groundswell of attention through leading organizations points to a resounding consensus, every girl must have access to quality sanitary products without feeling ashamed.  

  

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to deal with period leakage at night?

How to gather information about menstruation?

The Only Menstruation Product You Need: Sanitary Pads